Volunteer work at KJT
The counselling work at KJT relies on the help of volunteers. The volunteers are all specially trained counselors for the Kanner-Jugendtelefon 1 1 6 1 1 1, the Online Help or the Elterentelefon. They also support counselling at the BEE SECURE Helpline.
How can I become a KJT volunteer counsellor?
All volunteers participate in a basic training. This consists of 70 hours and an additional 50 hours of practical training.
The basic training is based on three pillars of support:
- Basic counseling attitudes and conversational skills
- Psychological and educational knowledge comprising
Developmental psychology of childhood and adolescence, family structures and family dynamics, divorce, sexuality, drug addiction, mental health, family violence, sexual violence against children, etc .
- Knowledge of counselling and support services in Luxembourg
The internship takes place in two phases. In the first phase, the interns assist experienced counsellors and listen to counselling sessions; in the second phase, they conduct their own counselling sessions under the guidance of a mentor.
What is required of a volunteer counsellor?
As a trained volunteer, you will work in a team of volunteers to answer the incoming online requests within the given time frame (initial request max. within 3 days, follow-up request max. within 10 days).
Each member of the volunteer group is required to attend a supervised session once a month (maximum duration of 3 hours). In addition, each staff member participates in at least one continuing education and one thematic evening per year. Supervision and continuous training guarantee the quality of the counsellor’s work.
When will the next basic training take place?
We organise a new basic training approximately every two years. The next one will take place in spring 2023. Before each session, we invite the volunteers to an information evening.
Information evening 2023:
- Thursday, 30.03. at 6:30 pm
Training dates :
- Friday, 12.05. 7 pm – 10 pm
- Saturday, 13.05. 9 am – 5 pm
- Thursday, 25.05. 6:30 pm – 9:30 pm
- Thursday, 08.06. 6:30 pm – 9:30 pm
- Thursday, 15.06. 6:30 pm – 9:30 pm
- Thursday, 29.06. 6:30 pm – 9:30 pm
- Thursday, 06.07. 6:30 pm – 9:30 pm
- Friday, 22.09. 7 pm – 10 pm
- Saturday, 23.09. 9 am – 5 pm
- Thursday, 28.09. 6:30 pm – 9:30 pm
- Thursday, 05.10. 6:30 pm – 9:30 pm
- Thursday, 12.10. 6:30 pm – 9:30 pm
- Thursday, 19.10. 6:30 pm – 9:30 pm
- Thursday, 09.11. 6:30 pm – 9:30 pm
- Thursday, 16.11. 6:30 pm – 9:30 pm
- Thursday, 23.11. 6:30 pm – 9:30 pm
- Thursday, 30.11. 6:30 pm – 9:30 pm
- Thursday, 07.12. 6:30 pm – 9:30 pm
- Thursday, 14.12. 6:30 pm – 9:30 pm
- Friday, 12.01.2024 7 pm – 10 pm
- Saturday, 13.01.2024 9 am – 5 pm
What happens after I complete the basic training?
After you have completed the basic training, you become an active volunteer of the online help. You become part of the nice team of interesting and friendly counsellors at KJT. You can then register for working sessions according to your availability, as well as for a supervision group that suits you. Monthly supervision is used for critical reflection upon, counseling work, improvement of counselling skills, mental hygiene, quality assurance of counselling work and improvement of skills.
After the training, volunteers are required to participate in regular ongoing education seminars and thematic sessions. These help in developing counselling skills as well as broadening and deepening knowledge in all fields of protection, health and well-being of children and young people.
Interested? Where can I register ?
We are glad that you are interested in becoming a volunteer with us. Please contact us using the form below. You will be invited to the next information session.
For any other questions, use this online form.
We look forward to meeting you!